Building EMACS v20.7
a***@jcu.edu.au
2004-05-04 02:32:22 UTC
Dear John,
If anyone has a few spare minutes could you try running this batch file
and seeing how far it gets in building EMACS?
After making some minor changes to configure.cmd (in order to make patch
(GNU patch 2.5) save original files with .orig file name extension), I find
that emacs now builds, but does not run. I started with a completely clean
emx 0.9d fix 4 environment and used the gcc 2.8.1 compiler included with it
to make the executable.

I dies after temacs has made a emacs.exe and it tries to get into the leim
stuff. Following are excerpts from the output I've captured during the make
process.

.... (lots of stuff omitted)

--with-bsd-socket : yes
--with-xf86sup-pty : yes
*** Create src/epaths.h ***
*** Create src/config.h ***
*** Create src/Makefile ***
*** Create lib-src/Makefile ***
*** Create leim/Makefile ***
*** Create Makefile ***
cd lib-src && make
make[1]: Entering directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/lib-src'
gcc -Zexe -DOS2 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../src -g -O -o test-distrib test-distrib.c
test-distrib testfile

.... (lots of stuff omitted)

Dumping under names emacs and emacs-20.7.1
emxbind 0.9d -- Copyright (c) 1991-1997 by Eberhard Mattes
7 resources in 1 object
506172 pure bytes used
make[1]: Leaving directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/src'
cd leim && make
make[1]: Entering directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/leim'
../src/emacs.exe -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file -l ../lisp/international/titdic-cnv \
--eval '(batch-titdic-convert t)' -dir quail ./CXTERM-DIC

Process terminated by SIGSEGV
make[1]: *** [quail/CTLau.el] Error 3
make[1]: Leaving directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/leim'
make: *** [leim] Error 2
(end of make/compilation)

At this point I cannot run emacs.exe successfully.

I get the message

emacs: X windows are not in use or not initialized

The only way to recover is to press Ctrl-Break with the following response

No support for stopping a process on this operating system;
you can continue or a
bort.
Auto-save? (y or n)

at which point I press n, and that's where I sit.

I've reinstalled the sources, started from scratch, played with some of the
options but am unable to get a working copy. I am so jealous of you having
been successful.

Any hints are gratefully accepted.

Thank you.

Regards, Arnstein.
Arnstein Prytz ***@jcu.edu.au
School of Maths and Physics ph: 61-7-47815183
James Cook University fax: 61-7-47815880
Townsville, Queensland 4811, Australia
Masaru Nomiya
2004-05-04 05:07:42 UTC
Hello,

In the Message;

Subject : [UnixOS2] Building EMACS v20.7
Date & Time: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:12:19 +0100

[John] == John Poltorak <***@warpix.org> has written:

John> cd %tmp%
John> wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/emacs-20.7.tar.gz && tar zxf emacs-20.7.tar.gz
John> wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/leim-20.7.tar.gz && tar zxf leim-20.7.tar.gz
John> wget http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ik3a-nsmr/emacs-20.7-KIT1.9.tgz
John> cd emacs-20.7
John> chmod +rw -R *
John> tar zxf ..\emacs-20.7-KIT1.9.tgz
John> echo.
John> echo Enter PATCH and if correctly identified confirm by pressing enter
John> echo.
John> call configure.cmd --with-bsd-socket --with-xf86sup-pty
John> SET INCLUDE=%C_INCLUDE_PATH%
John> make

You have fogotten 1 sentence.

SET INCLUDE=%C_INCLUDE_PATH%
SET NAME=YOUR FULL NAME ← This one!
make

Without this. you will get an error as Arnstein did.

In the Message;

Subject : Re: [UnixOS2] Building EMACS v20.7
Date & Time: Tue, 4 May 2004 12:32:22 +1000

[Arnsteain] == ***@jcu.edu.au has written:

[...]
Arnsteain> make[1]: Entering directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/leim'
Arnsteain> ../src/emacs.exe -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file -l ../lisp/international/titdic-cnv \
Arnsteain> --eval '(batch-titdic-convert t)' -dir quail ./CXTERM-DIC

Arnsteain> Process terminated by SIGSEGV
Arnsteain> make[1]: *** [quail/CTLau.el] Error 3
Arnsteain> make[1]: Leaving directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/leim'
Arnsteain> make: *** [leim] Error 2

Regards,

---
Masaru Nomiya mail-to: ***@ttmy.ne.jp

"Bill! You married with Computers.
Not with Me!"
"No..., with money."
John Poltorak
2004-05-04 12:18:45 UTC
Post by Masaru Nomiya
Hello,
John> call configure.cmd --with-bsd-socket --with-xf86sup-pty
John> SET INCLUDE=%C_INCLUDE_PATH%
John> make
You have fogotten 1 sentence.
SET INCLUDE=%C_INCLUDE_PATH%
SET NAME=YOUR FULL NAME ← This one!
make
Without this. you will get an error as Arnstein did.
I think the %NAME% variable is only required at runtime.
Post by Masaru Nomiya
Regards,
---
John
Masaru Nomiya
2004-05-05 03:20:04 UTC
Hello,

In the Message;

Subject : Re: [UnixOS2] Re: Building EMACS v20.7
Date & Time: Tue, 4 May 2004 13:18:45 +0100

[John] == John Poltorak <***@warpix.org> has written:

John> I think the %NAME% variable is only required at runtime.

No. It's required when compiling Emacs 20.7 for OS/2.
Because,

In the Message;

Date & Time: Tue, 4 May 2004 12:32:22 +1000

[Arnstein] == ***@jcu.edu.au has written:

[...]
Arnstein> make[1]: Entering directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/leim'
Arnstein> ../src/emacs.exe -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file -l ../lisp/international/titdic-cnv \
Arnstein> --eval '(batch-titdic-convert t)' -dir quail ./CXTERM-DIC

Arnstein> Process terminated by SIGSEGV
Arnstein> make[1]: *** [quail/CTLau.el] Error 3
Arnstein> make[1]: Leaving directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/leim'
Arnstein> make: *** [leim] Error 2

this error massage means "failed byte-compile of lisp files".
That is, byte-compiling is performed by emacs.exe, and emacs.exe can't
work properly without %NAME% variable.

Regards,

---

"No..., with money."
John Poltorak
2004-05-05 10:11:56 UTC
Post by Masaru Nomiya
Hello,
In the Message;
Date & Time: Tue, 4 May 2004 13:18:45 +0100
John> I think the %NAME% variable is only required at runtime.
No. It's required when compiling Emacs 20.7 for OS/2.
Well I made a specific point of not setting it and it still built without
any errors. I've tried it again just to confirm that this is the case.
Post by Masaru Nomiya
Because,
In the Message;
Date & Time: Tue, 4 May 2004 12:32:22 +1000
[...]
Arnstein> make[1]: Entering directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/leim'
Arnstein> ../src/emacs.exe -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file -l ../lisp/international/titdic-cnv \
Arnstein> --eval '(batch-titdic-convert t)' -dir quail ./CXTERM-DIC
Arnstein> Process terminated by SIGSEGV
Arnstein> make[1]: *** [quail/CTLau.el] Error 3
Arnstein> make[1]: Leaving directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/leim'
Arnstein> make: *** [leim] Error 2
this error massage means "failed byte-compile of lisp files".
That is, byte-compiling is performed by emacs.exe, and emacs.exe can't
work properly without %NAME% variable.
Maybe some other variable is sufficient. I don't normally have %NAME% set,
although %HOME% is defined.
Post by Masaru Nomiya
Regards,
---
John
John Poltorak
2004-05-04 12:15:41 UTC
Post by a***@jcu.edu.au
Dear John,
If anyone has a few spare minutes could you try running this batch file
and seeing how far it gets in building EMACS?
After making some minor changes to configure.cmd
I wouldn't bother making any changes at all until you know things work. It
does ask where patch is you only need to enter its name.
Post by a***@jcu.edu.au
I dies after temacs has made a emacs.exe and it tries to get into the leim
stuff. Following are excerpts from the output I've captured during the make
process.
cd lib-src && make
make[1]: Entering directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/lib-src'
gcc -Zexe -DOS2 -D_BSD_SOURCE -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../src -g -O -o test-distrib test-distrib.c
test-distrib testfile
It seems to start OK.
Post by a***@jcu.edu.au
.... (lots of stuff omitted)
Dumping under names emacs and emacs-20.7.1
emxbind 0.9d -- Copyright (c) 1991-1997 by Eberhard Mattes
7 resources in 1 object
506172 pure bytes used
make[1]: Leaving directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/src'
cd leim && make
make[1]: Entering directory `E:/var/tmp/emacs/emacs-20.7/leim'
../src/emacs.exe -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file -l ../lisp/international/titdic-cnv \
--eval '(batch-titdic-convert t)' -dir quail ./CXTERM-DIC
I have the same at this point.
Post by a***@jcu.edu.au
Process terminated by SIGSEGV
Does anything show up in POPUPLOG.OS2?

It may be related to the toolset you are using, ie EMXRT, SHELL, MAKE
etc.. There are so many variables. What EMXREV do you have and which
version of make do you have and which shell?
Post by a***@jcu.edu.au
At this point I cannot run emacs.exe successfully.
I get the message
emacs: X windows are not in use or not initialized
Actually, you probably have it built, but the runtime environment is not
set.

Try creating EMACS.CMD which consists of something like:-

SET PATH=c:\tmp\emacs-20.7\src;%path%
SET EMACSROOT=c:/tmp/emacs-20.7
SET EMACSLOADPATH=c:/tmp/emacs-20.7/lisp;c:/tmp/emacs-20.7/site-lisp;c:/tmp/emacs-20.7/leim
SET NAME=Bilbo Baggins
rem c:\tmp\emacs-20.7\src\emacs.exe -nw
c:\tmp\emacs-20.7\src\emacs.exe -bg Black -fg Green -cr Blue
Post by a***@jcu.edu.au
I've reinstalled the sources, started from scratch, played with some of the
options but am unable to get a working copy. I am so jealous of you having
been successful.
Any hints are gratefully accepted.
It isn't easy to get it built. It works fine on two machines but not on
one where I have set up a standardised build environment. Having said that
you may already have a working copy....
Post by a***@jcu.edu.au
Thank you.
Regards, Arnstein.
John
Arnstein Prytz
2004-05-04 23:04:19 UTC
Dear John,
Post by John Poltorak
Post by a***@jcu.edu.au
After making some minor changes to configure.cmd
I wouldn't bother making any changes at all until you know things work. It
does ask where patch is you only need to enter its name.
That I did, but my version of patch does not automatically create backups
of the original files with a .orig file name extension.

patch .exe 52,736 .a.. 22-02-1998 19:38:02

At line 98 of configure.cmd I've modified PatchVal.lp.1 as follows

PatchVal.lp.1="-b -z .orig -p 1";

With this the patching process works as expected.
Post by John Poltorak
Post by a***@jcu.edu.au
Process terminated by SIGSEGV
Does anything show up in POPUPLOG.OS2?
No. Never mind though, because Masaru Nomiya hit the nail on the head when
he told me to add "set NAME=Arnstein Prytz" in the environment. I've done
that and now have a running emacs.exe.

By the way, I did not have to set makeshell. All I needed was to start the
build process in a cmd.exe shell. It stuffs up under 4OS/2, probably
because of the ANSI code sequences I use there for the prompt. I haven't
bothered to look into this yet. I am running make 3.81beta1.

Now that I can compile and run emacs I will compare with Jeremy Bowen's
20.6 version to see what can be done to make it more PM like. I do not
fancy the X scroll bars. What's the deal with .XDefaults, FONTSET.OS2? I
do not understand where these come into it. I have the following in my
.emacs (with a whole lot of other rubbish) which allows me to use the
same file on three machines with different monitors.

(setq default-frame-alist
(append
'((left . 0)
(top . 0)
(width . 81)
(background-color . "antiquewhite")
(foreground-color . "black")
(cursor-type . halftone))
(cond
; Spinifex: AcerView 79g, 1200x1024, 17" monitor, 11 pt
((equal (local-host-name) "spinifex")
(append
'((height . 46)
(font . "11.Courier")
(menu-font . "11.Times New Roman"))))
; Goanna: Benq FP991, 1200x1024, 19" LCD monitor, 9 pt
((equal (local-host-name) "goanna")
(append
'((height . 61)
(font . "10.Courier")
(menu-font . "9.Times New Roman"))))
; Gecko: IBM Thinkpad T41 laptop, 1400x1050, 12 pt
((equal (local-host-name) "gecko")
(append
'((height . 47)
(font . "11.Courier")
(menu-font . "11.Times New Roman"))))
)
default-frame-alist
)
)

The problem here is that I do not get 'antique-white' background and the
window height is not set correctly. Further, the same font specification
gives different font sizes under 20.6 and 20.7. Where does one get hold
of MFN or BDF fonts that Masaru Nomiya refers to.

I use emacs A LOT, for reading news, mail, sending mail, editing, latex,
PostScript preview through ps-print extensions, writing letters using
different charsets, etc. At this point 20.7 dies without an entry in
POPUPLOG.OS2 when trying to send mail. Reading new mail buggers up the
new messages. I can start a PS preview. Opening a latex file I do not
get syntax highlighting because emacs looks for pm-list-fonts fn. This
is because 20.6 is designed around em's pm-win terminal, while 20.7 uses
a different os2pm-win terminal. That's fair enough, but as I get more
time I'll try to revert back to the 20.6 (and hence 19.33) behaviour.

For now, the mail crashing is rather a deal-breaker for me so I'll keep
using 20.6. At least the crash occurs a while after the mail is sent.
20.6 seems to have problems with spawning process (I think), as well as
a few other problems, which I have gotten used to working around.

Thank you to everyone who helped me get 20.7 compiled. That, to me, was
the biggest problem. Now I'll see what I can do about fine-tuning the
process, and perhaps even update to more recent version. Yeah, I know,
I'll likely bite off more than I can chew.

Masaru Nomiya
2004-05-05 04:12:22 UTC
Hello,

In the Message;

Date & Time: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:04:19 +1000

[Arnstein] == Arnstein Prytz <***@jcu.edu.au> has written:

Arnstein>>> After making some minor changes to configure.cmd

I can't understand.

John>> I wouldn't bother making any changes at all until you know things work. It
John>> does ask where patch is you only need to enter its name.

Yes.
And, Mr. Sasaki recomends to rename GNU patch.exe as gpatch.exe.
He intends to avoid OS/2's patch.exe working.

Arnstein> That I did, but my version of patch does not automatically create backups
Arnstein> of the original files with a .orig file name extension.

Arnstein> patch .exe 52,736 .a.. 22-02-1998 19:38:02

Mine is

01-02-12 2:33 61952 0 patch.exe

but this is not the cause....

[...]
Arnstein> fancy the X scroll bars. What's the deal with .XDefaults,
Arnstein> FONTSET.OS2?

.XDefaults is same as the native Emacs's fonts setting.
That is, Emacs 20.7 for OS/2 display characters with fonts defined in
.XDefaults.
FONTSET.OS2 is for multi-lingal use.
Arnstein> The problem here is that I do not get 'antique-white' background and the
Arnstein> window height is not set correctly. Further, the same font specification
Arnstein> gives different font sizes under 20.6 and 20.7. Where does one get hold
Arnstein> of MFN or BDF fonts that Masaru Nomiya refers to.

Chnge 'antique-white' to 'AntiqueWhite1', 'AntiqueWhite2',
'AntiqueWhite3, or 'AntiqueWhite4'.
You will find out which color name you can use if you see near end of
the README.JPN. Mr. Sasaki made color table for Emacs for OS/2.

And, for the window's size, I write as follows;

;; For window size
(setq default-frame-alist
(append '((width . 90) (height . 70) (top . 10) (left . 10))
default-frame-alist))

This setting display the windows's site correctly.

Arnstein> I use emacs A LOT, for reading news, mail, sending mail, editing, latex,
Arnstein> PostScript preview through ps-print extensions, writing letters using
Arnstein> different charsets, etc.

Same as you, But I haven't got problems as you yet.
For example, I use Emacs 20.7 for OS/2 for MUA's base.
That is, I'm using the MUA named Wanderlust, wich is written by lisp.
Maybe, you tried to send mail directly from Emacs 20.7 for OS/2, but I
never tried.

PS. I'm using Yatex, emacs-w3m (this requires w3m), etc....

Regards,

---

"No..., with money."
John Poltorak
2004-05-05 10:00:53 UTC
Post by Masaru Nomiya
John>> I wouldn't bother making any changes at all until you know things work. It
John>> does ask where patch is you only need to enter its name.
Yes.
And, Mr. Sasaki recomends to rename GNU patch.exe as gpatch.exe.
He intends to avoid OS/2's patch.exe working.
What I would like to do is incorporate Mr SASAKI's patches into UX2BS and
create a fully automated build. I think it should be fairly easy to do
that.

But first I'd like to see if it is possible to get a patch which includes
any patches that were made for v19.33 and v20.6. It appears that a number
of people revert back to 19.33 because of errors in newer versions.

In 20.7, I am unable to read INFO files - emacs simply exits.
Post by Masaru Nomiya
Arnstein> I use emacs A LOT, for reading news, mail, sending mail, editing, latex,
Arnstein> PostScript preview through ps-print extensions, writing letters using
Arnstein> different charsets, etc.
Same as you, But I haven't got problems as you yet.
For example, I use Emacs 20.7 for OS/2 for MUA's base.
That is, I'm using the MUA named Wanderlust, wich is written by lisp.
Maybe, you tried to send mail directly from Emacs 20.7 for OS/2, but I
never tried.
It's good that we have some experienced emacs users here since it's an app
I would like to use extensively but I'm always disappointed that I can't
get it to do what I want.
Post by Masaru Nomiya
PS. I'm using Yatex, emacs-w3m (this requires w3m), etc....
What is w3m and Yatex?
Post by Masaru Nomiya
Regards,
---