[UnixOS2] SDL
John Poltorak
2004-05-01 18:43:16 UTC
I read something about SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) having been ported
to OS/2 recently which has caused a bit of a stir on USENET.

Can anyone exlain what it is and why I would want it?
John
Christian Hennecke
2004-05-01 19:02:40 UTC
Post by John Poltorak
I read something about SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) having been ported
to OS/2 recently which has caused a bit of a stir on USENET.
Can anyone exlain what it is and why I would want it?
Quoting the homepage at www.libsdl.org:

"Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library
designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse,
joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer. It is used
by MPEG playback software, emulators, and many popular games, including
the award winning Linux port of "Civilization: Call To Power."

Simple DirectMedia Layer supports Linux, Windows, BeOS, MacOS Classic,
MacOS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX. There is
also code, but no official support, for Windows CE, AmigaOS, Dreamcast,
Atari, NetBSD, AIX, OSF/Tru64, RISC OS, and SymbianOS.

SDL is written in C, but works with C++ natively, and has bindings to
several other languages, including Ada, Eiffel, Java, Lua, ML, Perl,
PHP, Pike, Python, and Ruby."

You would want it, because many Unix applications that produce
graphical output use it. Especially games. Hey, OS/2 needs more fun!

Can somebody please port Enigma? :-))) See
http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/.

Christian Hennecke