[UnixOS2] DLL for GNU text utils
Andreas Buening
2004-04-28 18:34:38 UTC
I assumed the procedure was to run libtoolize before any of the auto*
tools, but that didn't have the desired affect, so I guess there is some
additional procedure required.
Do I also need to add AC_PROG_LIBTOOL to configure.in?
FAQ:

AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

in exactly that order. And, whatever you're going to do,
it will never be incorporated into the main source. libtu
is just for internal use to make the build easier.

Bye,
Andreas
John Poltorak
2004-04-30 11:52:23 UTC
Post by Andreas Buening
I assumed the procedure was to run libtoolize before any of the auto*
tools, but that didn't have the desired affect, so I guess there is some
additional procedure required.
Do I also need to add AC_PROG_LIBTOOL to configure.in?
AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
in exactly that order.
Which version of Autoconf accepts these macros?

I'm building the GNU Textutils with v2.50
Post by Andreas Buening
And, whatever you're going to do,
it will never be incorporated into the main source. libtu
is just for internal use to make the build easier.
This is only for my use in an attempt to replicate what we have had on
OS/2 for many years with gnutu.dll.
Post by Andreas Buening
Bye,
Andreas
John
Andreas Buening
2004-05-01 08:58:31 UTC
Post by John Poltorak
Post by Andreas Buening
AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
in exactly that order.
Which version of Autoconf accepts these macros?
None. You asked for libtool.
Post by Andreas Buening
And, whatever you're going to do,
it will never be incorporated into the main source. libtu
is just for internal use to make the build easier.
This is only for my use in an attempt to replicate what we have had on
OS/2 for many years with gnutu.dll.
KUW did this with a hand-written Makefile. If you want to have an
automagically built dll you need libtool. And, IMHO, it isn't worth
the effort as long as the potential gnutu.dll code isn't too large.

Bye,
Andreas
John Poltorak
2004-05-01 11:45:47 UTC
Post by Andreas Buening
Post by John Poltorak
Post by Andreas Buening
AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
in exactly that order.
Which version of Autoconf accepts these macros?
None. You asked for libtool.
I'm confused. Do those two macros go in configure.in? I thought autoconf
processed configure.in so surely autoconf would need to recognise those as
valid macros, or does libtool use those macros from configure.in when
running libtoolize?
Post by Andreas Buening
And, whatever you're going to do,
it will never be incorporated into the main source. libtu
is just for internal use to make the build easier.
This is only for my use in an attempt to replicate what we have had on
OS/2 for many years with gnutu.dll.
KUW did this with a hand-written Makefile. If you want to have an
automagically built dll you need libtool. And, IMHO, it isn't worth
the effort as long as the potential gnutu.dll code isn't too large.
I'm trying to use this as an example of how to use libtool since my
understanding of it is very hazy.
Post by Andreas Buening
Bye,
Andreas
John
Andreas Buening
2004-05-01 12:34:48 UTC
Post by John Poltorak
Post by Andreas Buening
Post by John Poltorak
Post by Andreas Buening
AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
in exactly that order.
Which version of Autoconf accepts these macros?
None. You asked for libtool.
I'm confused. Do those two macros go in configure.in? I thought autoconf
processed configure.in so surely autoconf would need to recognise those as
valid macros, or does libtool use those macros from configure.in when
running libtoolize?
To maximize your confusion: libtool IS those two macros. ;-)))

Effectively, libtool is a set of files (libtool.m4 and ltmain.sh (?)).
These files have to be in your source directory (libtoolize should
do this job), then you tell autoconf to use libtool by adding
those two lines to configure.in. Finally, autoconf/configure starts
libtool to do strange things.
Post by John Poltorak
I'm trying to use this as an example of how to use libtool since my
understanding of it is very hazy.
It's not your understanding. The _use_ of libtool is very hazy. ;-)

Bye,
Andreas
Thomas Dickey
2004-05-01 15:27:47 UTC
Post by Andreas Buening
To maximize your confusion: libtool IS those two macros. ;-)))
Effectively, libtool is a set of files (libtool.m4 and ltmain.sh (?)).
more/less. I use libtool without those files. The notion that someone
has to (by observation) double the size of their tarball to get a workable
version of libtool relegates it to "alpha" category software.
--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net